1. To give an account of in speech or writing.
2. To convey an idea or impression of; characterize:
She described her childhood as a time of wonder and discovery.
3. To represent pictorially; depict:
Goya's etchings describe the horrors of war in grotesque detail.
4. To trace the form or outline of:
describe a circle with a compass.
5. Middle English describen
6. from Latin d?scrobere [to write down]
源自 拉丁语 d?scrobere [写下]
7. d?- [de-]
8. scrobere [to write] * see skrobh-
scrobere [写] *参见 skrobh-
9. The central meaning shared by these verbs is “to tell the facts, details, or particulars of something verbally or in writing”:
described the accident;
narrated their experiences in the Far East;
an explorer reciting her adventures;
a mercenary recounting his exploits;
parents rehearsing the dangers the children faced;
related the day's events;
came back and reported what she had seen.