1. To observe carefully or critically; inspect:
examined the room for clues.
2. To study or analyze:
examine a tissue sample under a microscope; examine the structure of a novel; examine one's own motives.
3. To test or check the condition or health of:
examine a patient.
4. To determine the qualifications, aptitude, or skills of by means of questions or exercises.
5. To question formally, as to elicit facts or information; interrogate:
6. Middle English examinen
7. from Old French examiner
源自 古法语 examiner
8. from Latin ex3min3re
源自 拉丁语 ex3min3re
9. from ex3men [a weighing out]
源自 ex3men [按定量分配]
11. A student who is being examined might prefer at times to deal with a swarm of bees rather than be weighed in the balance once again. The history of the word examine involves both phenomena. Examine, first recorded in English in a work composed before 1338, goes back to the Latin word ex3min3re, which in turn is derived from ex3men, meaning both “a swarm of bees” and “the apparatus or process of weighing, balance.” Ex3men has these senses because it is formed from the prefix ex-, “out of,” and the root .ag-, “to drive, force.” The semantic possibilities of this combination are shown by the senses of the related verb exigere, which meant “to drive out,” “to exact payment,” “to demand,” and “to inquire after or into.” The verb ex3min3re derived from ex3men has the sense “to swarm” as well as the senses “to weigh, balance,” and “to consider critically.”
一个正在考试的学生有时宁愿去对付一群蜜蜂也不愿再一次参加考试。examine 这个词的历史涉及到以上两种现象。 Examine 在英文最早的记录是出现于1338年以前的一本书中，回溯到拉丁文中的examinare， 其源自examen， 意思不但包括“蜂群”，还包括“衡量和平衡的程序或装置”。Examen 具有这些含义是因为它由前缀ex-， 意为“超出”，和词根 ag-， 意为“驱使，强迫”组成的。 这个组合在语义上包含的几种可能被相关动词exigere 的意义表达出来， 它的含义有“赶出”、“要求支付”、“需要”和“问候或调查”。examinare 这个动词源自 examen， 含有“云集”的意思， 同时也有“衡量、平衡”和“吹毛求疵地考虑”等含义