2. The ratio of the probability of an event's occurring to the probability of its not occurring.
3. The likelihood of the occurrence of one thing rather than the occurrence of another thing, as in a contest:
The odds are that she will get the nomination on the first ballot.
4. Games A ratio expressing the amount by which the stake of one bettor differs from that of an opposing bettor.
5. An amount or a degree by which one thing exceeds or falls short of another:
won the contest by considerable odds.
6. In disagreement; in conflict:
“The artist and the self-critic . . . are, with a few felicitous exceptions, forever at odds”(Joyce Carol Oates)
7. In every possible way; unquestionably:
By all odds it is the best film of the year.
8. Pl. of odd