1. The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.
2. The act of seizing and carrying off by force; abduction.
3. Abusive or improper treatment; violation:
a rape of justice.
4. To force (another person) to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse; commit rape on.
5. To seize and carry off by force.
6. To plunder or pillage.
7. Middle English
8. from rapen [to rape]
源自 rapen [强奸]
9. from Old French raper [to abduct]
源自 古法语 raper [诱拐]
10. from Latin rapere [to seize] * see rep-
源自 拉丁语 rapere [夺取] *参见 rep-
11. Although three senses are listed in our entry for the verb rape, it is unlikely that many people think of the word as having more than one sense. The Latin word rapere from which rape comes had an even wider range of meanings, including “to ravish.” It must be kept in mind, however, that most of its senses had to do with the notion of seizing or carrying off and that sexual violation was confined to the one sense. In the case of the Middle English word rapen, taken from Latin rapere, fewer senses existed, but some of them differed quite significantly from any in which we would use the word today. It could mean “to fix or set a certain time” (“The tyme he wild [would] not rape” ) or “to carry off somebody to heaven from earth” ( “the visions of seynt poul wan [when] he was rapt in to paradys” ). The past participle rapt has survived in Modern English, where it has become a separate word referring to states of deep delight or absorption, far removed from the hideous cruelties of rape. The sense involving these cruelties was probably present in Middle English and has largely taken over the word.
尽管在动词rape 这一词条中，我们列了三个意思， 但实际很多人并不认为该词有这么多意思。Rape 从其起源的拉丁语单词 rapere 甚至有更多的词义， 其中包括“使销魂”这一含意。然而，我们必须记住所有这些词义都同“用武力夺取或抢走”有关，性方面的侵犯只是其中的一个意思。在中古英语中，由拉丁语rapere 一词产生的动词 rapen 的词义已经减少， 不过其中有些词义和现在的词义完全不同。它可以意为“约定或确定时间”(“他不肯 约定时间” )或“由人间带某人进入天堂”( “圣保罗进入天堂 的情景” )。 该词的过去分词rapt 仍存在于现代英语中， 在这里它已成为一个单独的单词，意为一种极其兴奋或被深深吸引的状态，这个意思与rape 一词丑恶的词义相去甚远。 与残酷行为有关的词义可能在中世纪就存在，后来被保留了下来
12. A European plant (Brassica napus) of the mustard family, cultivated as fodder and for its seed that yields a valuable oil. Also called colza, oil-seed rape
芸苔，油菜：属十字花科的一种欧洲植物， （芸苔属 欧洲油菜） ，作为饲料进行种植，可炼出价值珍贵的油 也作 colza， oil-seed rape
13. Middle English
14. from Old French
15. from Latin r3pa [turnip]
源自 拉丁语 r3pa [郁金香]
16. The refuse of grapes left after the extraction of the juice in winemaking.
17. French rape [grape stalk]
法语 rape [葡萄茎]
18. from Old French