1. At or in that place:
sit over there.
2. To, into, or toward that place:
wouldn't go there again.
3. At that stage, moment, or point:
Stop there before you make any more mistakes.
4. In that matter:
I can't agree with him there.
5. Used to introduce a clause or sentence:
There are numerous items. There must be another exit.
6. Used to indicate an unspecified person in direct address:
7. Used as an intensive:
That person there ought to know the directions to town.
8. That place or point:
stopped and went on from there.
9. Used to express feelings such as relief, satisfaction, sympathy, or anger:
There, now I can have some peace!
10. Middle English
11. from Old English th?r, th?r * see to-
源自 古英语 th?r, th?r *参见 to-
12. The standard rule states that when the pronoun there precedes a verb such as be, seem, or appear, the verb agrees in number with the following grammatical subject:
标准规则认为，当代词there 出现在如 be，seem 或 appear 的动词之前时， 则动词的数遵照如下语法实例：
There is a great Italian deli across the street.
There are fabulous wildflowers in the hills.
There seems to be a blueberry pie cooking in the kitchen.
There seem to be a few trees between me and the green.
13. Nonetheless, it is common in speech for the contraction there's to be used when technically a plural verb is called for, as in There's a couple of good reasons for going. There is also a tendency to use a singular verb when the phrase with which the verb must agree is a conjunction in which the subject closest to the verb is singular:
然而，当技术上要求用复数动词时，口语中常用缩写there's ， 如在有两个要去的好理由 中。 当作为连接词的短语中最接近动词的主语为单数时，且短语必须与动词保持一致，也有用单数动词的趋势：
To the left, there is a beautiful entry hall, a sitting room, and a sun porch.
14. Although this usage is strictly incorrect, the attraction of the verb to the singular noun phrase following it is so strong that few writers manage to avoid the construction entirely. · The demonstrative forms that there and this here are nonstandard.
尽管严格地讲，这种用法是错误的，但动词对于跟随它的单数名词短语的吸引力如此之强以至几乎没有作者能完全避免这种结构。指示形式that there 和 this here 是不标准的